Thursday, August 11, 2016

That coconut oil covered man.

I saw the pic of the Tongan athlete and Konai Helu Thaman's poem came to mind....


You come clad in your fine mats and tapa cloth
Your brown skin bursting with fresh perfumed oil...

Your eyes shining like stars in a clear night
YOU, the choice of my parents.
 

You will bring them wealth and fame
With your western-type education
And second-hand car.
But you do not know me, my prince
Save that I am first born and have known no other man;
I fit your plans and schemes for the future.
But you cannot see the real me
My face is masked with pretence and obedience
And my smiles tell you that I care
I have no other choice

The priest has left the altar now
And the dancing has begun;
I see myself dying slowly
To family and traditions;
Stripped of its will and carefree spirit,
Naked on the cold and lonely waters
Of a strange family shoreline
Alienated from belonging truly.
I love as a mere act of duty
My soul is far away
Clinging to that familiar ironwood tree
That heralds strangers
To the land of my ancestors
I will bear you a son
To prolong your family tree
And fill the gaps in your genealogy.
But when my duties are fulfilled
My spirit will return to the land of my birth
Where you will find me no more
Except for the weeping willows along the shore.



Ia ua lelei makagaga - choohooo.,...


so um, yeah - what was this update about?

...I was thinking, that all the palagi women who were swooning thinking, imam get me a Tongan man.

Ae taunuu atu le va'alele ae welcome mai I le:




Ofa atu,







 

1 comment:

Laura Writes said...

lmfao! You got me good with that welcoming party hahahaha