Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Stumbling upon the annals of disengagement

I walked M Moelagi to school today, while normally, Frenchy does this while I drop La Tuif off at his early education centre.
I have not seen her friends and other parents in a while. I only email the teacher and see her rarely because of my work hours. So this morning was a great change in routine which enabled me to interact with her friends, other parents and the teacher.

Oi Aue,...What a moment of truth for me. 

Here I am, sing
ing about promoting engagement between schools and parents and pleading with administration to be more open to diversity and realities of families in need. Plus, asking parents, in English and Samoan to be more involved in their student's work...and yet, I am the one that is failing in that very front. At home. With my own. Boom. Kaea.

The reality is, being engaged in our children's learning is a joint effort but in truth, everything else gets in the way, like other children, work, other activities, the need to earn a living (me) laziness (me), slackness (me again) and many other excuses. 

In a perfect world, I would be in a job that allows me to take my children to school and pick them up. 

But for now, I live in 'this' world, disengaged and with a misguided focus. 

Hmmm, amazing what a walk to school can do.

k, back to work.


I was looking for an image that represents education and I couldn't think of a better one than this,  of MMoelagi and her namesake (Granma). This is education at its best.
O la'u tala atu lena i lenei aso.


okay, so they do get a bit carried away sometimes, but this is still awesome, haha




No comments: