Tuesday, January 07, 2014

2013 in retrospect and words of wisdom for 2014.

The Year comes to an end all too quickly, and I now forcefully take a moment, among the chaos to reflect and offer much unwanted advice to my adoring fans that live in my head. 
Thank you thank you, please, enough of the applause.

2013 felt like the year when everything had to fall into place. 

2012 was the year of change, moving, saying goodbye to academic madness (albeit briefly) and so there was much expectation that this (2013) year was about resettling, adjusting and watching the dust settle.
Airena. Not to be. 

While we did have some calm, the daily and the mundane kept us preoccupied.
Like dashing to collect children, dashing to take a child whose head got jammed between posts at a daycare centre, dashing to collect someone from the airport, dashing to something, somewhere.

But I did achieve/change some things:

1. I regained my notorious and unpopular partying ways, much to the displeasure of Frenchy. Not that it bothers me, because I believe in the mantra, "love me for who I am - change is fleeting" hah. hah. hah.
It was more about networking and reconnecting with friends who, like me got busy with studies/babies/jobs etc. Now that we live in the same area code....oi aue!

2. Progress - workwise and careerwise. Albeit with the same institution but progress nevertheless. I still look to the heavens and to seek.co,nz for inspiration weekly but for now, I shall settle until something more rewarding comes along.

3. I made more tuigas than any other year and in the process became more assertive and clear about deadlines and demands from people. Before, I was too eager to please and afraid to offend people. Now, with pushy friends and customers who believe in my work, they are telling me off for being too nice. No more Mr Nice Gal. Auuuuu!!! Isa!

4. I am more at peace with ..err, life. I am not in a rush to get somewhere - or be the head of the World Bank in the next 5 years. Rather, I am enjoying my small victories with my loved ones. And by small victories, I mean, getting up in the morning, getting to school/work on time, watching Tui and Moelagi learn to ride their bikes, watching Moelagi smack her head on the ground but the helmet protected her, WOOOHOOO! just a bruise on the forehead, watching Tui do a #1 in the toilet for the first time, CHOOOHOOO! being with my sisters and their children, spending time with my mom and hearing her talk and talk about our piikaga and connection to Pai and Lafai and Pailafai and Lalafa etc. 

5. Learning to simply, be at peace with what I have, what I do not have, with all the blessings around me.

Any on that note, all the best with 2014 - since it is now 2014 and I wrote this back in 2013 before we buggered off to the beach.

Again, I am not a new year resolutions kind of 'guy' but again, same advice as 2013:

"Be happy in your own skin. If you want to be a better person, then by all means, go for Gold. However, you should also be realistic and live in the now, rather than striving so hard that you are forgetting to celebrate now. Make small changes and set real goals. Surround yourself with people who encourage, inspire and have a positive influence on you. Lastly, I leave you with this:

"It is highly unlikely that you will win the lottery, find money growing on the tree outside your house or find Channing Tatum licking you senseless while you moan in your size 8 nakedness, so relax, have a donut and be happy in your own skin" Goddess of Fagogos.

Bring on 2014!!!!(oh - it's 7th Jan already).

my own image(:




2 comments:

Fotu said...

Lol clearly we were drinking the same reflections at New Years juice (not enough vodka!)

Amen to being good in your own skin, and to partying more! Frenchy can have a cry together with my husband about their partying wives. hehe

Happy 2014 keo! Alofas xo

Goddess said...

Amen sister, ...pau lava Le mea ia lava Le onosai o nai tamaloloa! Anyhow, he has lily to keep him company while mommy gets some down time with her friends over some beverages (: here's to another kick ass year ma'am, cheers!