Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pasifika Education and the hunger to succeed.

This morning, we were in an assembly at a local high school. 
We were discussing how students can be prepared for tertiary studies.
Several were chatting without a care in the world, but stopped when the Career Adviser asserted:

"Wake up and smell the roses because at the rate you're going, the roses are. Dead"

Needless to say, no one else spoke.

Sometimes, one needs to get tough to get a response.

This is also a reminder that we can't all be enthusiastic and interactive and fun, because no one is going to walk into a Uni lecture or onto a construction site or workplace and get amused and entertained. 
I find that many students here are very carefree and laid back about studying and getting somewhere. 
Where I come from, we had no other option, it was either Education or nothing. 
This was drummed into our heads from day one, and every chance to get ahead was not taken lightly.
I look around me most days and think. "Wow, these kids are darned lucky, they had a smorgasbord of options, support, resources and care thrown their way, yet they choose to skip hop and step over it, what a waste of opportunity".
What is the difference?
I don't have the answers but I feel that they are not as desperate or as hungry for success or achievement.
They are not as driven because they know there is someone to catch them when they fall.
Eh, kailo se, .....
But here's what I feel does not work:
-Making Pacific students think they are victims and that the world is against them.
Rather, make them know that they have the same chances as any other child of any ethnicity in New Zealand. 
If someone told me in Year 13 I was a victim and that the system was made to go against me, I will just hate on the system and think "why bother, the odds are stacked against me"....it breeds negativity, but I guess that's just the Year 13 me. 

So if you're a Pasifika student reading this:

YOU CAN DO IT, YOU ARE ABLE AND YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO SUCCEED.
- USE YOUR CAREERS RESOURCES AND ADVISERS.
- GO TO THE LIBRARY AND ACCESS BREAKOUT TO FIND OUT WHAT SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE AND APPLY FOR THEM, EVERY YEAR, SO MUCH SCHOLARSHIP MONEY DOES NOT GET CLAIMED BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH STUDENTS APPLY
- GET INVOLVED IN SCHOOL AND OTHER ACTIVITIES LIKE DEBATING, SPORTS, VOLUNTEERING, ETC...ANYTHING TO SHOW THAT YOU ARE KEEN FOR A CHALLENGE AND TAKING INITIATIVE. (You're Amazing:).
- CHECK OUT THE INSTITUTIONS OPEN DAYS AND EVENTS AND CHECK OUT WHAT THEY OFFER
- FIND OUT WHO INSPIRES YOU AND ASK THEM HOW THEY GOT TO WHERE THEY ARE
- HAVE A PLAN AND ASK FOR HELP.
- DON'T BE SHY, ASK QUESTIONS AND ASK ASK ASK
-GET THOSE CREDITS AND KNOW WHAT THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS ARE TO GET INTO YOUR DESIRED COURSE
-YOU CAN DO IT. 

Thank You,
Goddess of Fuarose

2 comments:

ReaderWriter said...

Thanks for posting this! You are so right. It makes me mad to see how relaxed some kids are about their credits and how they don't seem to care whether they pass or not. I am sharing this with my class.

Goddess said...

Thank you ReaderWriter (:
And getting those Merits or Es in Level 2 makes a world of difference when they apply for uni.
All the best