Monday, July 02, 2012

Tuiga truths and search for non chicken feathers

Today's interesting moment is my search for very special feathers for a tuiga I'm making this week, and I felt that my point of difference was to use bird feathers, ...in fact, any bird but chicken.
And no, I didn't like ostrich feather either.
Anyhow, ...I figured the best place to get those precious feathers, without killing the blummin bird was ..the Zoo.
So I am waiting for a reply from Auckland Zoo as I know they have an Aviary (ahem - from my last visit in 2006).
...i'm hoping they don't come back to me and say "Yes, you can have it but come collect them yourself" hah.
Will see where this lil' adventure takes me.

Interesting Tuiga truths:
If you look at images of tuigas worn by samoans in the early days, (and some even today, thank goodness), you'll find that the women's faces are very,...taunt and almost flawless. In fact, you can tell a tuiga has been 'mounted' and tied to the skull of the wearer skillfully by the 'tauntness' of their faces, so much that their eyes becomes slanted upwards. Now, try gathering your hair and pull it upwards to the top of your head, tie it in a bun and then pull some more, are you crying yet? No? keep pulling. Now look in a mirror and you too can look like a samoan taunt faced tuiga wearing warrior.
 Without botox.


Wife of a Samoan chief. The wife of a Samoan chief wears traditional 'meke' costume. Her long hair is worn up, decorated with a beaded headdress, and her neck and shoulders are adorned with garlands of flowers (leis). Suva, Fiji, 21-27 May 1924. Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji, Pacific Ocean, Oceania.
© Universal Images Group / SuperStock


1 comment:

Lani Wendt Young said...

I can vouch for that "pinched dying look". the one and only time i wore a "REAL" traditional tuiga, I was 14. It took 3 hours for my aunties to tie my head up and my hair back. And tie on all the assorted pieces. By the time it was done, I was dizzy and lightheaded. I had a headache and i hadnt even started the taupou duties. Then they put me on the back of a pickup truck, drove me to Mulinuu so i could walk in front of our village. Barefoot. On the tar seal road. IN the blazing sun. With my face and skin pulled up so tight it was like i had massive facelift...botox...you name it. I spent the whole morning trying not to cry. Or faint. The whole experience reminded me of the binding of girls feet in China. True story. Painful. But true.