Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The things that go pasae in the night....spoooky!

I'm reading a book called Her Perfect Symmetry.
It is a dark aitu type of novel about weird twin sisters, an ancient cemetery, a woman who dies but then remains in her flat, as a ghost.

Oka oka e, I was absolutely scared - enough for me to turn the bedside lamp on at 2:35am, ...palaai much? Yessir~!
So I decided I was NOT going to continue because my thoughts are now consumed with spirits lingering in our hallway and ghosts touching my face in my sleep...arghhh!
Stop it! Sorry Jesus, I believe in you!!! Always!

So my fear of ghosts/spirits is nothing new. I have always been ghost-sensitive from an early age...because I have seen one!
The first time was sleeping in my Gramna's house in Safua and then seeing silouhettes of people walking past our house .....except, there is a fence and people can't walk through, even in broad daylight.
So I laid there, frozen with fear until daylight.
My Grandma said ua ova lo'u kaukalaikiki thus the ghosts, gee thanks much!

Then at Lalovaea, we always hear footsteps downstairs - but no one else is in the house...bear in mind, that house is old and our family have been born, conceived, and passed through those doorways for decades. Spooky!

Of course, my fears are not eased by our village dramas...like the occasional ma'i aitu where (always a woman!) a woman shakes and seems 'pocessed' and then a traditional healer is called.
This healer then brings fuefue saiga leaves for the pocessed woman to drink and be massaged with.
The first time I saw this was Eteline, our neighbour.
She was shaking violently and the whole village and their dog were surrounding her from all sides of their fale oo (yessir - there was no TV, whose gonna miss the thrill of the month!).
Of course as kids, we were scared shitless.
No one wanted to be alone and no one wanted to misbehave for a whole hour thereafter.

With Eteline's case, 'apparently' some dead ancestor entered her body (ahem - can you tell I'm struggling to translate the samowen version?) and was speaking through her, demanding that she is returned to her family home. After the episode, when the aitu leaves a woman's body, she is usually spent, tired and extremely famished, so pisupo is usually pried open for this occasion.
The only perk of being pocessed: pisupo.
Eeeek! I'm getting goosebumps just writing about aikus....Jesus I love you!!!

Anyhow, now that I'm older, I'm beginning to suspect that maybe some of these ma'iaikus are a form of outlet for some people? ...maybe that woman has had enough of her marriage that she explodes with anger and becomes delusional? Multiple personality maybe?

Eh - I really don't know but on the lighter side, another woman named Moata had a crush on a man named Siliki.
One sunny day, she suddenly dropped, rolled and is in pocessed rage.
When she was questioned and taunted by the 'ghost whisperer' she screamed back:
"Amai le kama e faagogofo ma le keige lea!" (Bring that boy to marry with this girl).
The ghost whispered then yelled back:
"Who are you, you alelo? @^*#&#(#((#....Who are you to disturb the peace @*^*&## Tell us your identity!"
And the ghost yelled back "O Moata".
Oops!
Slap in her face and her illness was gone.
No boy and no pisupo that day for poor Moata.

But tonight, I trust in the Lord Almighty and I will say my prayers because ghosts don't exist!
No, really!

2 comments:

ulalei said...

LMAO@Moata... I vaguely remember telling my parents i saw an old man sitting on top of the mango tree at Vaiala when I was 5. Fai mai lo'u grandmother, oi ai o le koeaiga (her dad) ae oso mai loga uso, se leai o Pai (cant remember who)... ae oso mai le isi uso se leai o Lafai. Ua mua ga ou fefe i loomakukua ma le lakou misa lea ua fai ae galo ai le koeaiga ai vavasi sitting on the tree! LOL

Goddess said...

hahah - no wonder the poor man is sitting in a mango tree, ...fefe i le pisa o le galu teine, lol...