Monday, June 27, 2011

The Church in Piu, Falealili


The one night of 2011 where I got totally legless, and crashed at 4am, I planned nothing but sleep.
Sleep in a fale samoa by the beach while the babysitter cared for my baby and MM was a child of the forest.
Sleep, recovery, rehydrated, recharge, sleep.
But my beloved God fearing mother did not get the memo.
She nudged me at 9am, cursed me at 9:10 and then got MM and Tau to kick me in the head thereafter.
Violence starts at home.
My mother insisted we went to.
Church.
It starts at 11.
I rummaged through our suitcase and NOTHING was slightly angelic in my wardrobe.
This is the beach for fecks sake, who was to know I was to enter the Holy House of the Lord after the wedding of the decade?
Anyhow, I managed to borrow one of Momma's gazillion scarves to cover my sinful shoulders and off we went to Piu....mom, my geeds and a big fat headache.
Drove past Sapunaoa and I thought of Kuini, whose olds are the faifeaus here, and where her 'samoaness' came from....her fobness comes from Safua, lol.our sister from another mada and another fada.
anyhow, the connection to Piu.
The faifeau is the head of an NGO under sungo, and their relative is a mutual friend of the family.
I asked my mother if she knew the way,
"Of course! afe i i, drive inland, e faigofie a...kope kope ua kuai!"
20 minutes later, we have driven past the village, the plantation, the kofe, and the tarsealed road comes to a DEADEND.
Typical....!
we turn around and find Piu church only 2minutes from the main road.
We get to the faifeau's house and my kids are taken away by adoring kids, and i find myself at the table that the guests had just feasted at.
Just a small beakfast of pagi popo, pai fala, bread, boiled eggs, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, big FAT yellow mangoes, supo esi, vaisapo etc etc...omg - i was in food heaven! and this was just breakky!!
What a hangover cure!
anyhow, as I am stuffing my face, Maeva'a dress is already dirty outside with the Piu kids.
..and Tuifiti is getting more attention than ever before in his young life.
then i asked the lovely faletua ...'o lea la le kaimi o le service?"
 (since it was now 11:30)
and she calmly said
"oh, just take your time, when youre ready"
omg! a whole congregation waited while I ate my vaisalo...choohoooo!
Anyhow, we were welcomed into Piu like family,.
It's a small village, who, according to the elders were forced to move inland after tidal waves earlier in the 1800s i think...
They chose this location as it was fertile for plantations and next to two large waterfalls, Sopoaga and another ua galo le igoa. They are also the protectors of the falls.
anyhow, the chuch is quaint, small and made of burnt coral like long ago,
and bless his soul this Faifeau, he refuses to pull it down.
I was in awe at this gorgeous structure, but even more of this faifeau who values the old and not the spanking louvres and a tiled pulpit.
anyhow, I left with the wee ones afterwards, mom stayed on for toonai.
I also found out that this faifeau drives the workers and kids into Apia every day and back, for schools and work....my god....shock horror, a faifeau who serves his people!!!! (note: need to introduce ours to this one).
anyhow, anyone going to this area should check out this place. I loved it...but i loved it even more when i got toonai that afternoon.

8 comments:

Coconut Girl said...

Lol @ the congregation waiting for you heathens to start the loku. Who is the Reupena's relative who is a mutual friend of the family? I used to go out with his nephew. Just saying. Hahaha.

Lani Wendt Young said...

I love yr storytelling. and descriptors. I almost want to go visit there myself. (which is huge for me since i HATE going anywhere remotely rural/beachlike)

Goddess said...

Coconut keo, is this where I politely say, 'paaauuumumuuuku!" bahahah.
ai kalo, i was talking about the faifeau's female cousin, so you're safe. fefe e i le mamao o le mea ga kau kala mai i ai ou gafa.

Coconut Girl said...

Not that mamao...remember he's not originally from Piu, e sau mai Solosolo. I could handle commuting from Solosolo. Choohooo!

Goddess said...

well then, in retrospect, Solosolo is much closer than Malie...ia, koe kaumafai akili.

Thanks Lani, ahem - i'm rereading my entry now to figure out what descriptors are (shame on me - i was sick on that day you discussed it in class)lol.

PTL said...

thank you for this wonderful blog, so proud of my family =)

Goddess said...

Thanks PTL - and thank you too, coz for a day they truly made us part of their family.
I am definitely going back to visit them next time i'm home....such wonderful and selfless people. manuia le aso

PTL said...

Awesome, see you there =)