Monday, April 20, 2009

A Tragic End and New Beginnings

Firstly, the good news is that we have two beautiful additions to the Tiatia family, Makeila who was born last week and Jacob born this morning. Both mommies are well and their lil' bubbas are doing well. I saw Makeila last week and she is soooo adorable and...well, calm!
I have yet to meet 11 hours old Jacob, who is the 22nd Grandchild to Granma,...and counting. I'm sure by the time CJ gets knocked up she's be delivering number 49 at the rate we're going!
Welcome to our world Makeila and Jacob!!!

Mom arrives from Fiji tomorrow and planning to leave MM with her so I can complete my focus groups.

Then the sad sad unbelievable phone call we get from Dave(Taxman) last night that our friend Matt Goodlet(B-Rains) was killed in a car accident last night near Tauranga. And I, myself, my sole 'being' hasn't registered that yet. I can't believe that this is the B-rains that was playing rugby on Saturday and picked up his shoes on Sunday is no longer with us a few hours later.
That, I can't comprehend.
I cried for a bit last night thinking of his cheerful and proud mother, and his girlfriend who is lying in a hospital -without her man - I cried for his close close friends like Carnage and Frenchy and Juen and Taxman, Blindy and Flem and others who are at the Eastside right now having a beer, as if B-rains is among them, cracking bad jokes and saying stupid things that 30 something year old men say at pubs every week, again and again.
Maybe later on this week, I will cry for B-rains - but not right now - he is not decreased in my mind - and by God I am struggling to convince myself of that right now.
All the cliches are crowding my thoughts right now - like "Showing those around you that you care, because you never know when they depart". Hold your loved ones close and tell them that they mean something to you, if not the world.
I realise this is why you are wiser as you grow older, because your heart is struck repeatedly when you lose someone in your life. You become a survivor of losses, perhaps you even grow a thicker shell to deal with the hits or does it wear you down and slowly chips away at your persona?
I don't know, only I am telling you my friends and family - you matter to me and even though I don't always show it, you mean the world to me. You make a difference to my life.
Even you reading this fagogo makes you my confidante, because youre reading my sad thoughts and that makes my load a heck of a lot Lighter.
Rest in Peace Matt Goodlet aka B-Rains,...teller of crazy stories and stupid jokes, party boy, travel guru, HR extraordinaire, organiser/coach/manager/leader of Varsity Rugby Club, an inspirational leader and above all else - a joy in the lives of those whose lifes he's touched.

1 comment:

its just moi said...

hey you
Im sorry to hear about your sad news...i think you are definitely right about getting older and becoming a survivor of losses, i think we both harden a little but also get chipped away at, ultimately all these things go on to mould the people we continue to become as we get older...Hope you and da fams are doing ok
kind regards
n.g